The Ouimet Fund is wrapping up its best year ever in 2015, as 14 new endowed scholarships were created by individuals and families who wished to honor a deep commitment and connection to young people, education, the game of golf and Francis Ouimet. The endowed scholarships have become a great cornerstone for growth as since 1991, the number of endowed scholarships has grown from 5 to 129 awards! Currently, endowed scholarships fund 30% of the Ouimet Fund’s $1.7 Million in annual awards. Please contact Bob Donovan or Danielle Pourbaix for information about the Ouimet fund’s endowed scholarship program.
View the new Endowed Brochure >>
- Kevin Buckley Scholarship: This Scholarship was established in memory of Mr. Buckley by his family. Kevin, along with his three brothers, grew up caddying and learning the game of golf at The Country Club in the 1960s. A gifted athlete who had dreams of playing pro baseball, he was tragically injured playing football at age 17 and lived the rest of his life as a quadriplegic. The Buckley Scholarship is for a Ouimet Scholar who has completed his golf service as a TCC caddie, just like Kevin.
- Evelyn Rutledge Virginia Alexander Scholarship: Established by Rand Alexander in memory of his late mother, who was a special education teacher in the Springfield Public School System for over 30 years. Mrs. Alexander was an avid golfer, gardener, and reader. This Scholarship is for a Scholar who has worked at a golf course in Hamden County and is currently living in Hamden County.
- Robert B. Bachman Scholarship: Created in honor of Mr. Bachman by his family. Mr. Bachman is a native of the Philadelphia area and a World War II veteran. He has continuously worked in sales in the steel industry for the past 70 years. Bob has a great love and passion for the game of golf and on several occasions played with Francis Ouimet. The Bachman Scholarship is for a Ouimet Scholar from Brae Burn CC or an inner-city Scholar.
- Brae Burn CC Caddie Alumni Scholarship: A special campaign for Brae Burn Alumni to raise funds to establish this Scholarship began in the fall of 2015. The goal is to raise $90,000 (with help from matching gifts of three anonymous Alumni and donors). So far, nearly $50,000 has been raised for this award!
- Dennett Goodrich Scholarship: This award was created by a large group of his friends in honor of Mr. Goodrich, who was a member of the Ouimet Board of Directors for 37 years and a tremendous supporter in many ways. He was Ouimet President from 1990-1992 and served on and chaired many Ouimet committees, including as the Vice Chair of the Ouimet Fund’s Annual Banquets for 13 years. He also played in the Ouimet Marathon several times and fundraised for many more years in his role as Ouimet Chair at Dedham Country and Polo Club. The Ouimet Fund’s Honorary Alumnus Award was named after him in 2009 and he was also an inaugural recipient of The Fund’s Richard F. Connolly, Jr. Distinguished Service Award’s awardee in 2000. This Scholarship is for a Ouimet Scholar from Dedham C&PC.
- Walter F. Devitt Scholarship: Created by his grandson, David B. Fite, Jr., a Ouimet Director, this award was established in honor of Mr. Devitt, a graduate of Bentley College and Treasurer of Massachusetts Gas and Electric and the Assistant Treasurer for the Northeast for the New England Electric System, retiring in 1973. He was a long-time member of the Beverly Golf and Tennis Club. Mr. Devitt was an avid golfer and introduced his grandson to the love of the game.
- Edward J. Krovitz, Jr. Scholarship: This Scholarship was established by the Krovitz Family in honor of Ed, who was very passionate about both golf and access to higher education. Ed was a four-year member of the Georgetown University Golf team, and continued to compete at the state amateur level following graduation as well as taking on many responsibilities at his local club. Ed always respected the etiquette, traditions and gentlemen nature of the game and carried those traits through to his personal and professional life. This Scholarship will be awarded to a North Shore Scholar that is pursuing a degree in Business.
- Carolyn S. Savage Scholarship: This award was created recently by Mrs. Savage, a long-time Ouimet Society Lifetime Member and a regular Ouimet Scholarship applicant interviewer. She and her late husband, Henry, served as the Ouimet Chairs at Wianno for many years and were honored with the Ouimet Chair of the Year Award in 2001. This Scholarship is for Ouimet Scholars who are females from the Greater Boston or Cape Cod areas.
- Frank and Helen Murphy Scholarship: This Scholarship was created in memory of Frank and Helen Murphy by their three sons (Kenneth Murphy, MD, Michael Murphy, and Richard Murphy, PhD – a Ouimet Scholarship Alumnus), to memorialize their love of golf, their 40-year membership at Bellevue Golf Club, and their belief in the importance of higher education. This Scholarship will be awarded to a Scholar who has worked at Bellevue Golf Club or Mt. Hood Golf Course.
- Ouimet Alumni Endowed Scholarship: In an effort to reach the $5 Million goal of The Fund’s Centennial Campaign, over 5,400 Alumni can help create this special award funded entirely by former Scholars. This will be the first time the general Alumni population has had the opportunity to establish an endowed scholarship.
- William Van Faasen Scholarship: This special scholarship was created by proceeds of the 2015 Spirit of Golf Event along with other special gifts. A native of metro Detroit, Van Faasen has been in Greater Boston for over 30 years and has been extremely community-minded. He was the first chairperson of Black and White on Green, the precursor to the City of Boston’s Summer Golf Recreation Program, long a pathway to a Ouimet Scholarship. Professionally, he served as Blue Cross Blue Shield’s of Massachusetts’ President and CEO for over a decade. A member of the MGA’s Executive Committee, Van Faasen was a driving force behind launch of The First Tee Program in the Commonwealth. A Ouimet Director and accomplished player in his own right, he is a member at Essex County Club and Old Sandwich Golf Club. He served as General Chairman of the 2010 Curtis Cup played at Essex. This scholarship will be for Boston inner-city Ouimet scholars.
- Seth Waugh Scholarship: Mr. Waugh, the driving force in the creation and success of the Deutsche Bank Championship, created this scholarship. Mr. Waugh was Deutsche Bank CEO for the Americas from 2001-2013, and he currently chairs the Deutsche Bank Americas Advisor Board. A passionate golfer himself, Waugh is an enthusiastic regular in the pre-tournament Pro-Am event, annually using the services of a Ouimet Scholar to caddie for him. This scholarship is for a Ouimet Scholar from Boston Golf Club, the TPC of Boston, a Ouimet Scholar who played two or more sports in high school, or a Ouimet Scholar from the North Shore of Boston, especially Ayer or Groton area.
- John A. Webster, Jr. Scholarship: This scholarship was created in honor of Mr. Webster by his family. Mr. Webster was a long-time member of Nashawtuc Country Club and the Bay Club who had a great love of golf. He died in 2015. He operated a successful veterinarian supply business for many years and this award will be dedicated in part to students in veterinarian studies.
- Wetzel Family Scholarship: This award was established by Todd Wetzel, a long-time Ouimet Director and current President of the Francis Ouimet Society. He is a Ouimet Society Lifetime Member who has recruited many other Lifetime Members. He is a Past President and Ouimet Chair of Tatnuck Country Club and currently a member of Worcester County Club where he also served as Ouimet Chair. This scholarship will be for a Ouimet Scholar from Worcester Country Club, Tatnuck Country Club, Green Hill Golf Course or elsewhere in the Greater Worcester area.